The Colorful Hat
LyricsColorful Hat- words and music by Linda Holt C1974
1) A man came riding through the town one day wearing a colorful hat. He didn't smile. He didn't frown.
He just looked straight ahead. He looked worn and torn. Still he travelled on. He had a story to tell.
2) I watched him as he climbed down off his horse; gave it a pat and tied it still. Then he said ,"Gather round I've a story to tell,
A parable long and simple." He seemed so tall and strong. His words were sound. He just sat down and said,
3) "I've been to many places far and near. I've seen many different things, but one incident that occurred awhile ago
To you this day I'll tell". He looked up to the sky. His face was blank as his memory reminded him again.
4) "I had a brother I met one day. My skin was white, his was black. We talked and talked and travelled around 'til
We met another fellowman. This man was foreign to us; he came from Japan, but the three of us shook hands and wandered on."
5) "We passed through field and country, forests, and lakes; talked with other wanderers; enjoying Gods' country and our company
We met another brotherman. He had darker skin. He was an Indian. He stayed with us and we travelled on."
6)"'Till one of those days we came upon a town. A town like yours here today. Well, the people there just looked at us,
And not with loving hearts. There was hatred in their eyes and their minds. Only trouble could brew."
7) "They couldn't understand why we were together. Prejudice is all they ever knew. What happened that day I can't repeat,
But on that day I lost my brothers. So I come to you and others too. Please, remember what I've said. We must unite.
We must all be one and someday we'll all be brothers."
8) Then he got back on his horse and rode on through the town. I watched him as he left. His words of prejudice remained with me.
I felt as if his brothers were mine. As I looked after him a rainbow painted the sky and the sun reflected off his colorful hat.
|Short Song Description:
A song about a man that travels around to tell his story of prejudice about how his good friends were killed for no other reason except stupidity and hatred.
|Lyric Credits: Linda Holt|
|Music Credits: Linda Holt|
|Producer Credits: The Holt Twins|
|Performance Credits: The Holt Twins|
|Song Length: 5:40|
|Primary Genre: Folk-Traditional|
|Secondary Genre: -|
|Tempo / Feel: Medium (111 - 130)|
|Subject Matter 1: Race/Ethnicity|
|Subject Matter 2: Friend|
|Mood 1: Heartbreaking|
|Mood 2: Troubled|
|Similar Artist 1: Joan Baez|
|Era: 1970 - 1979|